Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Have Faith in GOD...

Then He said to His disciples, "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? If you then are not able to do the least, why are you anxious for the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith? Luke 12:22-28 NKJV

OK, I'll admit it--there are times my faith is really tested. As I write this, my wife is hospitalized again (14th time in 15 months) and by now I'm wondering what is going on. Is this test of GOD through which I am to learn something and grow spiritually as a result of? Am I being prepared for some great mission? Or, is it of Satan and designed to cause me to doubt? I absolutely do not know.

Our human nature is fickle. We can feel certain of something at one moment and completely unsure the next. We tend to worry & fret and expend large amounts of energy & emotion over things that are not within our control. Philippians 4:6-7 (NKJV) tells us, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
So, why do we put ourselves through such gutwrenching periods of self-pity, doubt and worry? All we need to do is turn it over to GOD. His shoulders are big enough to carry the burden when we cannot bear it alone.
I am reminded of the Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Neibuhr. Most people are familiar with the first few lines but the rest is powerful as well...

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

The things of this world, the difficulties we encounter--none of it makes sense to us. Why doesn't GOD "fix" it? Why does He allow evil? I believe that we are not meant to understand it all in the here and now but that He will reveal His plan to us when we reign with Him in Glory. Faith and trust are the keys. "For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known" (1 Corinthians 13:12 NKJV).

All I can be certain of now is simply that my faith is strong & my GOD is still on His Throne and that is enough for me!

Blessings!
Tony

1 comment:

  1. Tony,I was truly touched by this post. I am a believer that we do not go through any test unless God allows it. We all have so many battles to fight but as I posted on my blog God has been showing me, we are fighting a battle already won... We already have the victory! I truly feel God has great plans for both you and Dee... This aint over yet! I am trusting 2011 is going to be a major year for us all... I agree with you in prayer that God will end this..Whatever it is that's going on with Dee, Satan can attack her in the same ways as he did Job, but he doesn't have the finial say.. REMEMBER it will all be restored... a thousand time more.. we love you and are praying for you-Jen

    ReplyDelete