Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Green Pastures...

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever. Psalm 23 NKJV

I'm not certain what caused the 23rd Psalm to come to my mind today but it did & I have been pondering it for a good portion of the day. As I read it, the thing that stood out to me was the green pastures. In my mind's eye, I see a solitary shepherd standing atop a hill watching over his flock of sheep in the green valley below. His eyes constantly scan the horizon, watching for any hint of danger and observing the weather conditions. A smile comes across his face as he sees young lambs frolicking and playing in the sweet, green grass. He takes a headcount to assure none of his precious flock have wandered away to become unsuspecting prey. He calls to them and they follow where he leads...

This is a picture of GOD as He sits in Heaven looking down on His children below. He has made provision for us in oh so many ways. He watches over us and protects us from all manner of evil. Yes, trials do come our way but He is ever faithful and cares for us. He sends people into our lives--for a reason, a season or sometimes for a lifetime--to uplift and encourage us just when we need it most. Psalm 100:3 reminds us, "Know that the Lord, He is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture." We are the creatures, He is the Creator. He desires good for us.

Satan is the predator intent on our destruction--we are his prey. GOD created us with a free will--we make our own choices in this life and those choices will ultimately determine our eternal destination. If we choose the things of the world, satan's way, we are doomed to eternal damnation and separation from GOD. We will spend eternity in a place never intended for man and be in agony and torment from the unquenchable flames.
However, if we choose to follow GOD and accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior ("I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture." John 10:9 NKJV)--our eternal "green pasture" is the glory and splendor of Heaven. We'll be surrounded by the love and light of GOD and in a constant state of joy for all of eternity.

My prayer is that GOD will grant me opportunities to show the way to Him so that others can know the rest and comfort He gives & goodness and mercy can follow them all their days. Then we will all dwell together, united as one, in the house of the Lord forever.

He's calling--won't you follow? I wish you peace and green pastures!

Blessings!
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment