Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How will I be remembered?

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16 NKJV As I grow older, I become more & more aware of how brief and how fragile life is. In the grand scheme of things, 60, 80, or even a hundred years on this earth does little to compare to Eternity. I'll soon be 52 and in those years, I've seen many births and deaths and witnessed the events that occur in between. When you see a headstone in the cemetery, it tells you little other than the person's name & the years they were born & died. Yet, those who knew them personally know what their life consisted of, how they lived, what they believed in and what they contributed to the world & those whose lives they touched. I once read a poem entitled "The Dash" that talked of how we should live our lives & it gave me reason to ponder. I wonder how will people remember me when my earthly life is done...? I know there are many I have wronged along the way & I'm aware that my bad choices have influenced & impacted others negatively. I pray they have or will forgive me in time. For a time, I lived a very self-centered life, seeking only to satisfy ungodly desires. I caused pain for many in the years I relied on alcohol as a crutch to help see me through. I was concerned about me, me alone, & gave little (if any) consideration to the effect it had on family & friends. I was determined to live my life by my rules in spite of what I'd been taught. I knew of GOD, but did not know Him on a personal level. I saw the Bible simply as a list of "thou shalt nots" that would sentence me to a dull, boring & funless (not sure that is even a real word but it fits) life. Still, I know many were in prayer for me. GOD answered their prayers. In time, He drew me to Himself. After much running & much fighting, I finally surrendered my life to Him. That was in January of 1992. I was 30 years old & had done much damage in the 15 or so years I had lived contrary to the Will of GOD. Thankfully, GOD desires to forgive us rather than punish us. Once I repented, He willingly forgave me & restored me to a right relationship with Him. Granted, I am far from perfect--thus I still must crucify my flesh (Galatians 5:24)& die daily to self (1 Corinthians 15:31). I find Christianity to be a process & like a plant, I grow a little each day in my walk. Now I find myself looking back at more years than I have yet before me. I wonder... Am I making good use of the dash that is my lifetime? How will people remember me? Does my life reflect my Christian beliefs? Am I having a positive impact on those I come in contact with? What will be the content of my eulogy? Does any of it really matter anyway? I pray that I am letting my light shine & that my influence & actions are positively impacting others. I cannot change the evils of my past life but am thankful I am a new creature in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). I know that once I close my eyes in death, I will open them once again in Heaven and witness the splendor of that Foursquare City built by GOD for His children. The anticipation of the glory that awaits me there brings me joy. I so want my loved ones to share that experience with me in eternal bliss. I pray I am living the remainder of my life in such a way that those left behind after my death will speak kindly of my "dash". That is how I hope to be remembered. How about you? Are you living for the Lord or living for the devil? There is no fence-straddling, we are either with GOD or against Him. Turn to GOD rather than from Him & let your light shine for Him. Blessings! Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment