Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Be Like a Tree...

"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever. I will praise You forever, Because You have done it; And in the presence of Your saints I will wait on Your name, for it is good." Psalm 52:8-9 NKJV I've been off work for a few weeks so I have a lot of time to think, to read, to pray. I'm not accustomed to having so much time on my hands but I'm trying to use it as a time to grow closer in my walk with GOD. I live in a highly wooded community & while walking my pup, Sampson, I found myself observing the tress in the neighborhood. It made me think--which can often be a dangerous thing. However, this time I felt it was somewhat of a revelation. Trees are interesting. Each one is unique in its appearance & the way it grows, but one thing they all have in common is they all grow upwards. They reach towards the sky as if raising their branches in praise to their creator. Trees don't compare themselves to one another, they don't desire to have what the other trees have. They simply grow in their own unique & God-given manner. They flourish with what GOD provides for them in the form of nutrients & water. Some have broken branches & scars from enduring terrible storms, yet they still thrive without complaint--ever reaching heavenward. People need to be more like trees. We need to stop focusing on others & look inward, searching for what gifts & talents GOD has bestowed upon us. There is no need to compare ourselves to others, as GOD has created each person for a specific purpose and gifted them accordingly. We need to embrace our uniqueness and thank GOD for His blessings. Yes, we will encounter troubles & trials--but we will heal from the storms of life that come upon us. They may bring pain, but GOD uses those experiences to grow us an draw us ever closer to Him. We need to praise Him in the storm, ever lifting our arms heavenward & giving Him glory. He never promised the Christian life would be easy, just that the eternal heavenly rewards would be worth whatever we are forced to endure in this life. Scars show that we have overcome the pain, that we have healed & often that we are stronger as a result of the season of trial & pain we went through. I know I've been through a lot in my life & that journey is not yet over, so I will likely endure more before I meet my Lord. I want to be the man in Psalm 1:1-3--"Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper." I know I have a long way to go to reach that place, but my heart's desire is to give honor & glory to GOD for His blessings in my life. How about you? Blessings! Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment