Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Resolutions...?

Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14 NKJV It's New Year's Eve--another year has passed & a new one is about to begin. It's time to reflect on accomplishments and failures of the past year & ponder the possibilities of what the new one holds in store. As for me, I am not usually one to make New Year's Resolutions. I always feel in doing so, I am setting myself up for yet another failure or disappointment. The past year has been hard for me. I find myself still struggling to adjust to the changes forced on me through Dee's death. At the same time, there have been good things that occurred. Through it all, GOD has been faithful to me even during a time I have had difficulty in remaining faithful to Him. As usual and in my humaninty, I've failed Him and others in multiple ways. I've sought to be forgiven & I've done my best to offer forgiveness to those who have hurt or offended me. Self-forgiveness seems to be the hardest to give. I think that is partly what the above Scripture is talking about. I've heard it said that you can't move forward if you are always looking backwards & nothing could be more true. Imagine if you will a runner, running backwards. He/she can't see what is ahead because their focus is in the wrong place. Yet, when they turn their back on what is behind them (the past, possibly?) & look forward--they are once again able to see clearly & avoid obstacles in their path. Satan is far smarter than we give him credit for. He knows if he can throw our past up at us and keep us from focusing on the good GOD has in store for us, that he will forever keep us distracted and disable the plans GOD has for our lives. We must look to GOD & praise Him even in the most difficult of times. We must learn from our pasts, but leave it there where it belongs. It is the past for a reason & as Christians, we are no longer the people we once were (2 Corinthians 5:17). We must train ourselves to stretch spiritually, in much the same way an athlete trains his/her body physically. It is not an overnight thing--but a process, a lifestlye, a series of right choices. Just as an athlete can't neglect the physical body & expect to be a warrior in sports, we can't neglect our spiritual life & expect to be warriors for GOD. We must stay in the Word, we must seek GOD's Will, and most importantly--we must obey Him rather than following self. Our goal is not the end zone or home plate--it is an eternal home in Heaven, in the presence of our Lord. Until we reach the finish line, and cross over from this world to the next through physical death (assuming the Lord tarries), we must continue in battle against satan & for the souls of men. I feel that time is short & Jesus' appearance in the clouds for His Saints is soon coming. So, while it is not a New Year's resolution--I pray that I will forget the past, continue living for GOD & doing His Will, and straining forward towards the goal of Heaven and taking as many there with me as I can. Lord, help me to live a life that is pleasing to You... As always, I am grateful for the prayers of my Christian brothers & sisters. Blessings! Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment