Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Thanksgiving and Praise...

"Shout with joy to the LORD, all the earth! Worship the LORD with gladness. Come before him, singing with joy. Acknowledge that the LORD is God! He made us, and we are his. We are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name. For the LORD is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and his faithfulness continues to each generation." Psalm 100 NLT It's the season of Thanksgiving...ironically, we should be thankful at all times, but somehow we choose to set aside one day to be thankful. It makes for good holiday family gatherings & hopefully acknowledging God as the Source of our blessings in this life. But, are we really grateful? I fear that in these United States of America, we take much for granted. Because we were blessed to be born here, we assume we are entitled to live the American Dream regardless of the cost. I've been to a poor country & seen poor people with my own eyes. I've worked with groups ministering to the homeless. I've helped get basic needs & holiday gifts for kids in foster care. I've visited veteran's homes, nursing homes & sick children wards at the hospital. I've witnessed hatred, prejudice & even death. I've made a lot of poor decisions through my life that not only negatively impacted me, but also those connected to me via family, friend, coworker & church member associations. Thankfully, God has seen fit to preserve my life through my stupidity & somehow found a way to use all that to minister to others. He truly uses all things & the least among us to be useful in the Kingdom! Truth is, for the most part, that Americans are spoiled, ungrateful, gluttonous people. The more they achieve & the more they possess, the more they desire. Their appetites never seem to be satisfied... How do we go about changing this? Well, the same way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time! If we stand aside & wait for someone else to do it, it may never happen. One person can make a huge difference. Any movement has to have a beginning. I grew up in the Birmingham area during the Civil Rights struggle. I remember school riots, church bombings, and the ugliness of the era. I remember watching a friendship develop between Reverend Billy Graham & Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. via television & newspapers. It was not well accepted by the white churchgoers of that time. But, over time, acceptance came & segregation became a thing of the past. We Christians need to do the same--peaceably assemble and make our voices heard, Support what is right & godly and boycott that which is not. We're a large group, but most are sitting silently waiting for someone else to be the one to make the first move. Let's turn our nation back to God! "Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance." Psalm 33:12 Let's be a joyful & thankful people! "Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe." Hebrews 12:28 Let's let our praises be heard! "I will praise you, LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done." Psalm 9:1 We are a blessed nation & we have much to be thankful for. We, the church, have missed the mark in doing our part to point people to God, to share the gift of salvation, to help meet the basic needs of those around us who are hungry, hurting or homeless. It starts with us. We must repent of our ungrateful & gluttonous ways and begin again. "if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14 Then, how about we really enter his gates with thanksgiving, his courts with praise, sing praises to him and bless his name? thanksgiving & praise should be an everyday thing, part of our Christian lifestyle, and should make people want to have the joy we have in our lives. Happy Thanksgiving & blessings to you! Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment